I drew this a few years back while at school. From the start, I wanted to color it, but I did not get around to it until recently. By then I had to make a lot of corrections to the original drawing in Photoshop; then I took it into Illustrator and played around until I got this.
I tried to do different colors in the shadows and highlights to really show the quality of light. I like this result, but I don’t think I’m quite done trying out different lighting techniques. The fire was a bit of a challenge. I will definitely experiment more in the future.
UPDATE: A very talented person I know kindly suggested that the shadows could use more color. I’m pleased with the change. I also wanted to add a process image showing my changes from the original drawing years ago to the flat color blocking in Illustrator.